Summer Conference Speakers
Department of Agriculture hosts careers July 26 & 27, 2012.
The Department of Agriculture at Texas State University-San Marcos hosted the USDA C.O.R.E (Career, Opportunities, Readiness, and Exploration) Summer Camp July 26-27. Fifty USDA fellows from Texas State, Palo Alto College, Northwest Vista College, and Laredo Community College participated. Guest speakers included:
· Mr. Alfred Almanza – USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) Administrator
· Dr. Eisabeth Hagen – USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) Under Secretary
· Mr. Francisco Valentin – USDA Rural Development State Director
· Ms. Judith Canales – USDA Rural Development Deputy Under Secretary
· Ms. Leslie Lankster – USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) Regional Public Affairs Director
· Mr. Stephen Svacina – USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) County Executive Director
· Mr. Doug Rundle – USDA National Agriculture Statistics Service (NASS) Texas Field Office Director
· Ms. Laurie Morales – USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Support Officer
· Mr. Jeff Goodwin – USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) Grazing Specialist
· Ms. Bertha Venegas – USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) State Outreach Coordinator
The Summer camp provided students with information on career opportunities within the various USDA agencies. All students are funded through the USDA-National Institute for Food and Agriculture and will complete a summer internship with a USDA agency. For more information please contact Dr. Doug Morrish or Dr. Ryan Saucier in the Department of Agriculture at 512.245.2130.